How To Keep Wasps Away From Your Salt Lake City Home
The scene typically goes like this: you’re outside enjoying a nice meal with your friends and family, and suddenly you hear buzzing near your head or see wasps landing on your food. These stinging pests can make it impossible to spend time outside enjoying your yard, and removing a wasp nest on your own can be challenging and dangerous.
This guide will explain how Salt Lake City pest control companies identify the types of wasps on your property. We’ll also review the problems wasps can cause and provide a few helpful prevention tips. Continue reading to learn the best way to control wasps in your backyard with the pros at Uinta Pest Solutions.
How To Identify A Wasp
Wasps are winged insects with a stinger and narrow waists that can help to differentiate them from bees. Here are the most common types of wasps that we find on Salt Lake City properties, with some descriptions to help you identify them:
- Bald-faced hornets are social wasps with black and white markings and white patterned faces that build aerial paper nests.
- Mud dauber wasps are solitary wasps that are usually black but may have lighter markings that build mud nests.
- Paper wasps are social wasps that are brown with either red or yellow markings and build umbrella-shaped paper nests.
- Yellow jackets are social wasps that are black and yellow that build both underground and aerial nests.
Wasps can be dangerous when they sense a threat to their nest, so be sure your family knows to avoid any nests on your property. If you need assistance determining the type of wasp or nest on your property, contact us today at Uinta Pest Solutions for help with identification and removal.
The Problem With Wasps Hanging Around Your Yard
Different wasps have varying danger levels, with some being more aggressive than others. Wasps are capable of stinging more than once, and if you are dealing with social wasps, the entire colony may come out to protect the nest. Their stings can be painful and may cause allergic reactions in some people.
Mud daubers are the least aggressive of the wasps on our list, but you should still take care when approaching a nest because sometimes other more aggressive insects take them over. Yellow jackets are one of the most aggressive, requiring professional assistance and safety equipment for removal. For help with wasp removal on your property, contact us at Uinta Pest Solutions.
Five No-Nonsense Tips To Prevent Wasps
The best way to avoid the dangers of wasps is to prevent them in the first place. Here are five wasp prevention tips to help keep wasps out of your house and away from your property:
- Keep food covered when dining outdoors.
- Avoid wearing scented perfumes or lotions.
- Store garbage in containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Seal any cracks or crevices on your home’s exterior.
- Be sure all of your window and door screens are intact.
For help with wasp control in Salt Lake City, contact us at Uinta Pest Solutions. We’re here to help you deal with the wasps on your property and prevent them from returning.
Contact Us For The Best Wasp Control For Your Yard
Approaching a wasp nest at the wrong time or without proper equipment is dangerous. The safest and best way to get rid of a wasp nest is to contact us at Uinta Pest Solutions.
We offer eco-friendly home pest control treatments that are pet and family safe. Call us now to learn more about our services or to request an appointment.